Lee Street’s Mission
“Lee Street theatre is committed to the development and presentation of original, challenging, and entertaining performance art.”
Street theatre operates under the following values:
- We will present quality experiences to all audiences.
- We will actively participate in our community & its development.
- We will provide a safe, ethical, and respectful environment for all staff, board members, patrons, performers, and audiences regardless of gender, race, religion, sexual orientation and age.
- We will make fiscally responsible decisions to honor the generosity of our donors and patrons.
- We will nurture playwrights in the development of new works.
- We will foster theatre artists and practitioners of all experience levels.
- We will provide exceptional customer service that creates a warm and friendly atmosphere for audiences.
Lee Street theatre was established in 2008 with the original goal of presenting alternative forms of performance art to the community. In the years that have followed, the company has lived up to this goal and become known for the diverse styles of programming offered, including one-act play festivals, original ten-minute play festivals, off-broadway style musicals and revues, reader’s theatre, of dance performances, original plays, variety shows, live music, and improvisational comedy. Showing a dedication to new playwrights, of the more than eighty programs that have been offered, Lee Street theatre has produced three full length, sixty ten-minute, and five one-act world premiere plays.
For 4 years, Lee Street theatre rented the black box theatre at the Looking Glass Artists Center for performances. In September 2012, Lee Street theatre embarked on its first ever Capital Campaign to build a new performing arts center in Downtown Salisbury. Construction was completed in November of 2013 and the Lee Street Theatre & Performing Arts Center at the Tom & Martha Smith Event Center has been a leader in the revitalization of the ‘Railwalk Arts District’ in Downtown Salisbury.
Awards and Honors:
Honored by the North Carolina Theatre Conference with the 2013 Community Theatre Award. This award recognized the important collaboration among Lee Street’s staff, its Board of Directors, St. Thomas Players, volunteers and people in the community to develop and produce an excellent theatre experience.
In 2017, the theatre ranked second among the “Ten Best Places for Live Theatre” in North Carolina. The press release announcing this honor states, “Lee Street is the place in Salisbury to grab a show and “experience the feeling.” The Board of Directors and staff are proud to be recognized by the industry for its hard work and dedication to provide quality entertainment to the citizens of Salisbury and surrounding communities.
Lee Street theatre is governed by a thirteen member board and two staff members.